Our mission is to promote and support the practice and expansion of sustainable community forest management in British Columbia.
The purposes of the Association are to:
- Work to ensure the viability of community forest initiatives in rural communities
- Provide education on community forestry issues
- Assist community forest practitioners in accessing resources required to succeed
- Promote community forest management as a strategy for community economic development
The guiding principles of the Association are to promote:
- Culturally, ecologically, and economically sustainable forestry
and practice of community forest initiatives in a manner which respects First Nation rights and cultural values, and which fosters understanding and cooperation between rural communities and First Nations.
- Meaningful representation of community members in community forest initiatives.
- Informed public participation in community forest decision-making.
- Leading edge forest practices.
- Local forest-based employment.
- The restoration of forest ecosystems as a basis for social, ecological and economic health.
- Community responsibility for land use and allocation decisions.