Doing Power Differently
Elizabeth Lesser, author of Cassandra Speaks, believes that if women’s voices had been equally heard and respected throughout history, humankind would have followed different principles of exercising power that value caretaking, compassion and communication over aggression and violence.
1. Strong/ weak hierarchy model replaced with a partnership model.
2. Authoritarian replaced with interactive.
3. Collaborates competitively replaced with collaborates connectively.
4. Values individualism, fortitude and action replaced with values relationships, empathy and communication.
5. Withholds praise and encouragement replaced with generous with praise and encouragement.
6. Denies one’s own mistakes and vulnerability replaced with transparency about mistakes and vulnerability
7. Dominates, interrupts, overrides replaced with listens, processes and includes.
New seedlings at risk in Community Forest By Kelly